Jian-Guo Dai （戴建国）
Ir Professor, FIIFC, FHKIE, FHKCI
- Address: ZS936, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong
- Tel: (852) 2766-6026
- Fax: (852) 2334-6389
- Email: email@example.com
- Research ID: E-4503-2011
- Scopus Author ID: 14830057400
- Google Scholar: Jian-Guo Dai
Summary of Experience
Prof Dai graduated with his Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering from Dalian University of Technology and got his PhD degree in Social Infrastructure Engineering from Hokkaido University, Japan. Before joining The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, he had two years of experience as a post-doctoral fellow at Hokkaido University and then worked as a research scientist for two-and-a-half years in the Life Cycle Management Research Center of Coastal Infrastructures, Port and Airport Research Institute, Japan.
Prof Dai is the recipient of several academic awards including the “Best Basic Research Paper Award” from ASCE, Journal of Composites for Construction in 2005, and “Distinguished Young Scholar Award” from the Association of FRP for Construction, China Society of Civil Engineers in 2011, HKIE Structural Excellence R&D Grand Award in 2019, and “Outstanding International Collaboration Award” from JSCE in 2022. His research theme is “Emerging Materials and Structural Systems (EMSS) for Sustainable Concrete Infrastructure (SCI)”.
Prof Dai is the contributor of 1 textbook, 4 book chapters, and 6 conference proceedings. He has published more than 300 technical papers (including some 200 SCI journal papers) in the above-mentioned research area. He delivered more than 30 keynote/invited talks at international conferences and other 60 technical presentations worldwide. As the principal investigator, he has secured a number of research funds from various agencies such as the Hong Kong RGC Collaborative Research Fund (CRF), Hong Kong General Research Fund (GRF), Hong Kong Innovation Technology Fund (ITF), National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), NSFC/RGC Joint Scheme, Construction Industry Council (CIC), Environmental Conservation Fund (ECF) and Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS). The total amount of funding has exceeded HK$40 million.
Prof Dai contributes actively his service and leadership to wide international and domestic technical communities. He has been serving Asian Concrete Federation (ACF) as Chair of its Technical Board, the International Institution of FRP Composites for Construction (IIFC) as its Vice President, and FRP Application Committee of China Society of Civil Engineering as its Vice-Chair. He is also an active technical committee member of many other international organizations such as ISO/TC71 and Japan Concrete Institute (JCI). He is a Fellow of IIFC, HKIE and Hong Kong Concrete Institute (HKCI). Currently, he is an Editor of “Advances in Structural Engineering”, a Vice-Editor-in-Chief of “Journal of Asian Concrete Federation” and an Associate Editor of “Journal of Advanced Concrete Technology” and has served other journals (e.g., ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, Construction and Building Materials) as a Guest Editor or an Editorial Board Member, and more than 60 international journals as a referee.
- October 2000 – August 2003 Doctor of Philosophy in Social Infrastructure Engineering.
Topic: Interfacial Models for Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Sheets Externally Bonded to Concrete.
English Graduate Program in Socio-Environment Engineering (EGPSEE), Hokkaido University, Japan, Supervisor: Prof Tamon UEDA
- September 1997 – September 2000 Doctor of Philosophy in Structural Engineering.
Topic: Micro-mechanical Enhancing Mechanisms of Steel Fiber Reinforced Self-stressing Concrete
Dalian University of Technology, China, Supervisor: Prof Chengkui HUANG.
- September 1994 – July 1997 Master of Science in Structural Engineering.
Topic: Mechanical Properties and Applications of Polypropylene Fiber Reinforced Concrete Structural Engineering
Dalian University of Technology, China, Co-supervisors: Prof Guofan ZHAO and Prof Yupu SONG
- September 1990 – July 1994 Bachelor of Engineering Port and Waterway Engineering (First degree, First class honor);
Industrial Management Engineering (Secondary degree), Dalian University of Technology, China
Principal Areas of Research
- Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Composites for Construction
- Multi-functional Surface Protective Coating
- Durability and Life Cycle Maintenance of RC Structures in Marine Environments
- Geopolymer Cement and Cocnrete
- High Performance Fiber-reinforced Cementitious Composites
- Jul. 2018 – Present Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Jul. 2013 – Jun. 2018 Associate Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Jul. 2008 – Jun. 2013 Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Jan. 2006 – Jun. 2008 Research Scientist, Life Cycle Management Research Center Port and Airport Research Institute, Japan
- Oct. 2003 – Dec.2005 Post-Doctoral Fellow, Center of Excellence Program, Division of Built Environment, Hokkaido University, Japan
- Visiting Scholar, University of Queensland, September 2014 – October 2014
- Visiting Scientist, University of Tokyo, July 2013 – August 2013
- Adjunct PhD Supervisor, Tongji University, China, March 2014 – February 2019
- Adjunct PhD Supervisor, Southeast University, China, March 2013 – Februray 2018
- Adjunct Professor, Guangdong Institute of Technology, China, November 2010 – October 2015
Honors and Awards
- 2022 Japan Scoeity of Civil Engineers (JSCE) “International Oustanding Collaboration Award”.
- 2022 HKIE “Structural Excellence Award 2022” (Commendation Merit).
- 2022 Gold Medal – Special Edition 2022 Inventions Grneva Evaluation Days – Virtual Event.
- 2021 “华夏建设科学技术奖励”一等奖励 (排名8/15).
- 2021 Faculty of Construction and Environment Dean’s Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Research Funding.
- Since 2020 — World’s Top 2% Scientists Released by Stanford University (Civil Engineering and Materials Disciplines).
- 2019 Faculty of Construction and Environment Dean’s Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Research Funding.
- 2019 HKIE “Structrual Excellence Award”, Grand Award R&D Award.
- 2019 Tsingdao Science and Technology Progress Award (the 2nd Class).
- 2019 Fellow of Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE).
- 2018 Fellow of International Institute of FRP in Construction (IIFC).
- 2018 Fellow of Hong Kong Concrete Institute (HKCI).
- 2017 Best Paper Award, the 9th National Symposium on the Fire Technology of Structures, 13-14 October, 2017.
- 2017 Scientific and Technological Progress Award of Shandong Province Colleges and Universities (the 1st Class).
- 2017 Best Paper Award, the 8th Young Researchers and Graduates Symposium in Structural Engineering and Construction, Tokyo, 7-8, December, 2017.
- 2016 Faculty of Construction and Environment Dean’s Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Research Funding.
- 2014 “Outstanding Contribution of Reviewing” Award from Elsevier Journals “Engineering Structures” and “Construction and Building Materials”.
- 2014 Best Paper Award, the 13th International Symposium on Structural Engineering (ISSE-13), Hefei, China, Organized by National Natural Science Foundation of China China (NSFC).
- 2013 Faculty of Construction and Environment Dean’s Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Research Funding.
- 2013 Frontrunner 5000, Top Articles in Outstanding Science &Technology Journals of China.
- 2011 Distinguished Young Scholar Award, Association of FRP for Construction, China Civil Engineering Society.
- 2010 Best Paper Award on FRP strengthening of Existing Structures, the 5th International Conference on FRP Composites in Civil Engineering, 27-29 Sept., 2010, Beijing, China.
- 2007 Best Annual Technical Report Award, Port and Airport Research Institute, Japan.
- 2005 Best Paper Award (Basic Research), ASCE, Journal of Composites for Construction.
- 2004 Best Presentation Prize, Japan Concrete Institute Annual Convention, Kochi
- 2003 Best Presentation Prize, Japan Concrete Institute Annual Convention, Kyoto.
- 2003 Best Paper (Research) Award, the 6th International Symposium on Fiber-Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Reinforcement for Concrete Structures (FRPRCS-6), Singapore.
- 1999 National Honor Student Award (全国三好学生), Ministry of Education, China.
- 1997 Liaoning Province Honor Student Award （辽宁省三好学生）, Education Bureau of Liaoning Province, China.